Check here for CD LAB updates, as well as articles and items of interest related to our efforts to reform the debt collection industry with the help of our colleagues and allies across America.
A brief summary of LAB’s activities thus far:
- Collection Defense Legal Aid Bureau is incorporated in Chicago, Illinois.
- LAB conducts research on needs and opportunities for clinic expansion in other parts of the country.
- Current Executive Director relocates to Austin, Texas to begin field research on the needs and availability of resources to conduct operations in the area.
- Through contact with members of the National Association of Consumer Advocates, LAB establishes relationships with attorneys in Central Texas to provide debt defense for potential clients.
- LAB sends out mailings to defendants in debt defense lawsuits in Travis County.
- Austin area client intakes begin; relationships between volunteer attorneys and LAB clients established.
- LAB mailings expanded to nearby Hays County.
- Hays County intakes take place; relationships between attorneys and LAB clients in Hays County established.
- Annual Board Meeting in Chicago, IL takes place; new Director and Officer positions established; 2016 strategic plan discussed and approved.
- LAB Board approves no income-dependent criteria for veterans, active duty military, and families in need of free debt defense services.
- Grant applications for 2016 funding continue.
- Consumers’ Rights Litigation Conference in San Antonio helps LAB establish relationships and alliances with attorneys, organizations, and other individuals practicing debt defense throughout the country.
- Individual Fundraising Initiative begins.
Next year promises to be a busy one. In conjunction with our current activities, LAB plans to:
- Expand clinic practices in the Austin and San Antonio areas;
- Enhance and expand clinic practices in Chicago area and throughout Illinois;
- Partner with attorneys in other states in the interest of expanding operations;
- Explore possibilities of starting a debt cancellation initiative in partnership with other organizations and charities;
- Hold education clinics in Chicago, Austin, and other areas in order to inform consumers of their rights and partner with attorneys interested in taking debt defense clients;
- Conduct research on debt collection activities and debt defense efforts in a variety of locations across the country.
- Increase our presence through social media and web development.