A brief summary of LAB’s activities thus far:
- Collection Defense Legal Aid Bureau is incorporated in Chicago, Illinois.
- LAB conducts research on needs and opportunities for clinic expansion in other parts of the country.
- Current Executive Director relocates to Austin, Texas to begin field research on the needs and availability of resources to conduct operations in the area.
- Through contact with members of the National Association of Consumer Advocates, LAB establishes relationships with attorneys in Central Texas to provide debt defense for potential clients.
- LAB sends out mailings to defendants in debt defense lawsuits in Travis County.
- Austin area client intakes begin; relationships between volunteer attorneys and LAB clients established.
- LAB mailings expanded to nearby Hays County.
- Hays County intakes take place; relationships between attorneys and LAB clients in Hays County established.
- Annual Board Meeting in Chicago, IL takes place; new Director and Officer positions established; 2016 strategic plan discussed and approved.
- LAB Board approves no income-dependent criteria for veterans, active duty military, and families in need of free debt defense services.
- Grant applications for 2016 funding continue.
- Consumers’ Rights Litigation Conference in San Antonio helps LAB establish relationships and alliances with attorneys, organizations, and other individuals practicing debt defense throughout the country.
- Individual Fundraising Initiative begins.
Next year promises to be a busy one. In conjunction with our current activities, LAB plans to:
- Expand clinic practices in the Austin and San Antonio areas;
- Enhance and expand clinic practices in Chicago area and throughout Illinois;
- Partner with attorneys in other states in the interest of expanding operations;
- Explore possibilities of starting a debt cancellation initiative in partnership with other organizations and charities;
- Hold education clinics in Chicago, Austin, and other areas in order to inform consumers of their rights and partner with attorneys interested in taking debt defense clients;
- Conduct research on debt collection activities and debt defense efforts in a variety of locations across the country.
- Increase our presence through social media and web development.